Hong Kong Tasting Trendies® Sake Awards
"More than a Competition"
Vision: Let's Taste Sake
Mission: Respect Brewer's Mission & Listen to Customer's Feedback
Believe: Interactive Learning & Balance makes Life Sweet
Hong Kong Tasting Trendies® Sake Awards TTSA 2021
Congratulations all TTSA Winners!
It is really all by God’s grace that we could finally organize the TTSA Awards judging this year and to have TTSA 2021 award ceremony on September 9. It is indeed an honour to have Ms Mari TAKADA, Deputy Consul-General of Japan and Mr. Hideaki ISHIHARA, Vice-Consul, Economic Section of the Consulate General of Japan in Hong Kong gracing us at the TTSA 2021 Awards Ceremony. All Trophy winners were excited to receive the TTSA trophies from Ms Takada. We were also very pleased to learn from Ms Takada that "… in 2020, over ¥6 billion [worth] of sake was exported to Hong Kong from Japan, which was about 50% increase over the previous year".
In 2017, Tomy, Co-Founder of TTSA and I first got the idea to establish a sake competition in Hong Kong to award the Brewers and to show respect to them for their immense contribution in making many beautiful sakes. At the same time, we wanted to educate the Hong Kong public so that they would know how to appreciate sake. On the other hand, we also respect end-users' feedback and so we invited both sake drinkers or users and experts to be part of the judging panel so that Brewers, their agents and sake importers know the comments of end-users. This is the reason why each sake entry may receive a medal each from the Expert Group and User Group, in addition to a trophy. Nevertheless 2020 and 2021 has been extra challenging for us to organize the TTSA judging and award ceremony, having to face with uncertainty of shipment and the epidemic prevention measures of Hong Kong SAR Government. In the end, we are most grateful that have many local sake importers' support Hong Kong TTSA 2020 and 2021!
Significance of TTSA 2021 Result:
1. We are delighted to see the Champion winner of 2018 (達磨正宗 熟成十年Daruma Masamune Juku Sei Jiu Nen) won again this year! Honestly speaking, it is not easy for a past Champion who already had the highest honour to join the competition again. We can see that both the brewer & importer are proud and confident of their sake. Now they have made it!
2. Two winners have received the trophy of "Awarded in Three Consecutive Years". It shows the professionalism and stability of their brewing techniques. This is an important index for both the brewer and the importer as different people sits on the Judging Panel at every TTSA. The Brewer and importer take pride in their persistence.
3. Vision and mission have been achieved in the 5th edition! One of TTSA’s supporting units has become a specialty shop of TTSA award-winning sakes. Thus some TTSA winning sakes are now found the on their shelves in a tourist hot spot at Central and Tsim Sha Tsui respectively!
4. We have invited a wine importer, Mr Albert Ko, to share his story at the beginning of TTSA 2021 Awards Ceremony. Mr Ko has turned into a Japanese sake importer after having been our TTSA User Group Judge in 2020 and 2021. At the 2021 Award Ceremony, Mr Ko remarked that: "After participating in the briefing session before the TTSA Judging session and tasting those entry sakes, I began to take a serious interest in sakes. Later on, I decided to try and become an importer of sakes myself! Indeed, I see that one of the most effective ways to get first hand feedback from potential customers about our sake collection and to know customers’ taste and preference is to enter our sake into the TTSA 2022!" As one of TTSA’s Co-founders, I really appreciate every TTSA participant's trust in TTSA for the critical role it plays, from branding to sales and marketing of sake. It is another achievement in our TTSA mission & vision.
5. It is indeed an honour to learn from Ms Mari Takada, the Deputy Consul-General of the Consulate-General of Japan in Hong Kong about the following at the TTSA 2021 Awards Ceremony: "Japanese sake is one of my country’s most famous exports and I value the important role that the Hong Kong Tasting Trendies Sake Awards plays in promoting Sake to the general public of Hong Kong and educating prospective purchasers regarding the different kinds of Sake available.
In 2020, over ¥6 billion [worth] of sake was exported to Hong Kong from Japan, which was about 50% increase over the previous year. I hope that everyone in Hong Kong who enjoys sake gets the chance to experience the wonderful varieties that are widely available.
I am grateful that the Hong Kong Tasting Trendies Sake Awards have been held annually since 2017. This event will undoubtedly heighten awareness not only of the popularity of Sake in Hong Kong, but also of the role that Sake plays in Japanese Culture".
We are so grateful to share the above highlights. Without the support from all of you, it would not have been possible and proud to say that apart from Japan, Hong Kong Tasting Trendies Sake Awards TTSA is the oldest sake competition in Asia and it takes place in Hong Kong.
So let us look forward to TTSA 2022! I pray that we will all enjoy good health and that our lives will be back to normal in late 2021.
TTSA Co-founder & Organizer
Hong Kong Tasting Trendies® Sake Awards TTSA 2018
Entries of Hong Kong Tasting Trendies® Sake Awards TTSA 2018 which has been successfully held on Apr 28, 2018 has increased to 122 and 1/3 of the entries came directly from the Sake breweries. Increasing number of enquiries from Users to us for Suppliers of Entry have made us become a bridge between Users and Suppliers. Result implies that HK customers' taste will be changed after having proper "education" and knowledge about the different varieties and styles of Japanese Sake. Differences in Results between of 2017 and 2018 reflected our missions & value in TTSA.
Hong Kong Tasting Trendies® Sake Awards TTSA 2019
TTSA Results facilitate drinkers to find their preferred type of sakes more easily; help suppliers discovering various consumers' tastes and understanding the trends.. TTSA Winners has told you their feedback in this video. Totally 250 medals of TTSA Tasting Trendies® Sake Awards have been presented; our Awards Ceremony & the first TTSA Pavilion 2019 has been successfully held at the ProWine Asia@HOFEX 2019, which is Asia's leading Food & Hospitality Trade Show at HKCEC. It is significant that four TTSA Trophies were presented by Mr Tsukasa Hirota, Deputy Consulate-General, Consulate-General of Japan in Hong Kong at the big Trade Show in Hong Kong on May 8, 2019. Products showcased at TTSA Pavillion were extremely eye-catching and well received.
The First Sake Competition in Hong Kong.
Awards Ceremony of TTSA 2017 was held in HOFEX, ProWine (Asia's leading food and hospitality trade show). Highly exposure in online & offline media coverage. Trophy presented by SP guest:
Mr. Simon WONG, JP, Chairman of HK Federation of Restaurants & Related Trades (in 2017)
Mr. Lee Yuk Fat, FPVCB(Hon), Chairman of Pok Oi Hospital (in 2018)
First-ever Judge Panel.
1. Expert group
Kikisake-shi (Sake sommelier), Sake Importers / Retailers.
2. User group Original!
Executives in Top Management CEOs, Top management from global enterprises, Association Chairmen, Professional, Media representatives.
The Results are more pertinent.
Results calculated by CPA Firm.
Trophy: Champion, 1st & 2nd Runner up have been presented to Winners of top 3 highest score.
Gold, Silver, Bronze medals have been presented to winning sakes that got prescribed score.
Our Judge Affairs Director is Mr. Tomy FONG, the first BJCP International Beer Judge from Hong Kong has been qualified as a "Certified" Judge; also a Kikisake-shi, wine expert, Food Pairing Business Development Advisor of Food & Beverage businesses.
We endeavor to explore a new market segment by EDUCATING Consumers. We arranged an elite class to User Group Judges before the Judging.
We hold subsequent events named TTSA Tours, namely TTSA Winning Sake Showcase at the Washu Fes HK 2018; dinning events of Sake x Various Cuisine to promote culture & variety of Japanese sake to public.
TTSA accepts all types of sake & Umeshu. Start from 2019, we will also accept your Shōchū & Awamori.
WE ARE CONNECTION!
Hong Kong is the World's 2nd large Importer in terms of sake import volume. Hong Kong is the first free wine port among major economies; the gateway into trade with China.
Enter TTSA 2022 Now!
Application Deadline : 23 March, 2022
Samples Delivery Period : 13 March - 13 April, 2022
Judging Day : 23 April, 2022 (Sat)
Award Ceremony : Exact date to be confirmed
Enrollment & Payment Method
Account Payee: KSOARTS Limited
Account Payee Address:
Room 1202, 12/F, On Hong Comm Building, 145 Hennessy Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Bank Account Number: 390-492999-001
Beneficiary Banker: Hang Seng Bank 024
Bank Headquarter Address:
83,Des Voeux Road, Central, Hong Kong
District of Banker: Hong Kong
Swic Code: HASEHKHH
1. Please check the amount of payment from the ENTRY FEE table and arrange your payment by transfer or remittance.
2. Please EMAIL us
i) your completed application form and;
ii) a copy of your remittance or bank deposit slip.
3. Please prepare Two(2) Bottles of 720ml or volume equivalent as ENTRY SAMPLES (Samples deliver to Hong Kong are duty free). You will receive our email to confirm your payment and delivery samples details.
1. Junmai Daiginjo
2. Junmai Ginjo
6. Honjozoshu / Futsushu
7. Yamahai / Kimoto
8. Muroka Nama Genshu
9. Koshu (Aged at room temperature)
10. Low temperature aging, ice cold temperature aging
11. (Shizuku sake, Joso, Tobingakoi, Fukurotsuri, Nakadori, Centrifuge)
12. High rice polish rate (Rice polish lower than 30%)
13. Low rice polish rate (Rice polish higher than 70%)
14. Pasteurization (Pasteurization only once, Pasteurization after bottled, Micro-carbonation effect etc)
15. Sparkling Sake / Doburoku
16. Umeshu / Fruit Sake
17. Shochu / Awamori
TTSA 2021 Awards Ceremony
TTSA 2019 Awards Ceremony & tour of Winning Sake Pavilion
TTSA 2018 Awards Ceremony & Tour of Winning Sake Counter
Tomy introducing winning sake to customers
Great honor that Mr.Kuninori Matsuda, the Ambassador & Consulate-General of Japan in Hong Kong, visited our counter and showed his interest and support to TTSA.
TTSA 2017 Awards Ceremony
Guests from F&B trade industry at Awards Ceremony
Awards presenter Mr. Simon Wong, JP was giving out an speech
Awards certificate presenting to the Winners
Awarded winning sake showcase in ProWine Asia, Hofex